Tuesday, July 17, 2007

all things good

Day 7 with my host family. All things are great so far! They are really wonderful. Again, for privacy, I’m assuming Peace Corp doesn’t want me outing the family so I tell you this – they are a happy family with 3 great children (a daughter and 2 sons). The daughter and the son speak a little English and that has made my transition much, much easier. I just hope it does not hinder my Russian lessons. There is so much I want to express (gratitude to be living with this family, excitement to be in Kyrgyzstan, hopes for my project, life back home) so the language barrier is a bit frustrating. I’m not shy about learning Russian or making the mistakes, the problem is that my vocabulary is very limited so it’s hard to ask questions and start a conversation. But I know this will come in time. I’ve only been here a week! So here’s a run down of my first few days in Kyrgyzstan.

For a day and a half Peace Corps housed all of the volunteers at hotel. There we had our first introductions to Kyrgyzstani accommodations, weather and food. Our hotel was rustic by American standards but good. We had a running toilet (literally), a tub with a shower attachment but unfortunately no air conditioning or windows with screens. Mid day in Kyrgyzstan is very hot but it cools off by 7pm. My roommate and I slept with our porch door open to keep cool. We were on the 4th floor so I felt safe but I feared a swallow would fly in! The entire hotel was covered in their big muddy nests and our porch housed about 10 birds in 4 little “condos.” My roommate Cheng Li would whistle at them in the morning. From our porch you could also see the mountains and a park in tribute to Manas, the great epic hero of Krygyzstan. And yes, the mountains are very beautiful. All of our meals were taken at the hotel and for the most part, everything was delicious. Though it was odd to have spaghetti with meat sauce for breakfast.

At the hotel we learned a little bit about Kyrgyzstani culture as well as how to keep ourselves and our belongings safe and secure in the country. We also started our language lessons and vaccinations. Russian is not easy! In the evenings most volunteers gathered at a Tiki bar on the hotel property. We had our first introduction to Kyrgyzstani beer which, while not cold, was delicious! On the day we met our host family we hopped a Marushka to Bishkek (the capital) to buy presents for our host families. Marshrukas redefine “clown car.” Imagine a Volkswagon van with about 30 people crammed inside plus their children and packages. And its 90+ degrees outside. And its humid. And there is no A/C, only windows. And your lucky if you get a window!! No bueno. (side note: I find myself reverting to Spanish all the time. I don’t even really speak Spanish. Other volunteers are doing this as well………). This is the preferred method of travel by Peace Corps. I’m not really sure why…….it’s probably cheapest.

In Bishkek we visited the internet café as well as the grocery store and florist to buy presents for our host families. We all bought these ridiculous bouquets for our 2nd families. I don’t know how they weren’t crushed on the way home.

Last Wednesday all volunteers relocated to their new homes. Peace Corps hosted a very sweet matching ceremony where the families and volunteers met on a stage and swapped bouquets, hugs and kisses. Unfortunately the language barrier kept the conversation short but there was definitely happiness on my part as well as my host family. I was told I look just like my host mom, a wonderful complement. After refreshments we went outside to find the car and collect my 125 pounds of gear. My host sister explained that her cousin was to take us home. The only problem… he was no where to be found. Five phone calls later the cousin finally arrived with much panache. Driving a slightly beat up Audi, he jumped the driveway into a small pot hole and bounced to a stop. He jumped out to my host sister and mother yelling and me just standing there with my 125 pounds of clothes, toiletries and electronics. I was pretty embarrassed by the weight so I had prepared an apology - Mai sumkee tejouleeah. Eevee nitzya (My bags are very heavy. I’m sorry.). The cousin just smiled and gave me the universal sign for “I’m strong.” So this was my introduction to my family! They argue, laugh, arrive late, and are fairly disorganized. I actually found their disorganization the most comforting. It was very humanizing and left all formality at the matching ceremony.

12 comments:

pam said...

Kelly,
So good to hear from you! I know that you are happy to finally be there and are fortunate to be with a nice host family. Are you allowed to post pictures? We would love to see some of your surroundings...Perhaps when you return you will already have a book written about your adventures in the Peace Corps. We are so proud of you and look daily for your entries.
Aunt Pam

Tootle Family said...

You write so well, I can picture everything! Kelly, isn't it amazing where our lives are now, from the good ole' days in Dallas. You're writing about your amazing journey, and I'm writing about diapers and Ryan's shots. Here is my blog: tootletot.blogspot.com
Jessica

Susan said...

Hi there! It’s great hearing that everything is going so well for you, Kelly, and I was glad to learn of your “luck of the draw” for a host family. Muy Bueno, Kelly! Your writing is so visual and funny that, as I read about the marshrushka (marushka) car, I was glad that it was a short ride. Also, I now know that not all of the Swallows live in Capistrano because some live in 4th floor condos in Kyrgyzstani hotels. Oh, my. I really am grateful that the Peace Corps has you living with a good host family. You describe them as ”they argue, laugh, arrive late, and are fairly disorganized”. Well, Kelly, that sounds to me very much like our extended family get-togethers in East Texas so it’s no wonder that you find that comforting! It’s a lot like home! I phoned Papa OJ and read today’s blog to him. He asked that I write and tell you that his mind is a lot more at ease after hearing your good news today and just knowing that you were assigned to live with a good host family has cut down his worrying about you by about 90%. He also laughed and said that you certainly were a good writer. Smiles to ya, Sweetie, and we love you! Susan

Mom said...

Kelly, at last, another word from my adventurous daughter! I have been checking your blog daily for the past week. I loved your entry today. Your story made me laugh out loud! I particularly enjoyed the paragraph describing the clown car and the flowers for your host family. The late arrival of the host family’s cousin was just the icing on the cake! You do have a literary flair, Kelly. I felt like I was there with you.
Keep on posting! Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Ditto what everyone else said... checking near daily and its great to see how things are working out.

Your posts are awesome for getting a sense of what its like and how things are going.

I'm jealous and glad to be part of it all!

Plus, its fun to start get some camaraderie with the rest of the group following your adventure... very cool!

Chris said...

Kelly!!

Its really good to see that you arrived safe and sound. I cant even imagine how things are out there. Its awesome to read your postings.. we are all thinking of you at the office =)

Take good care and keep posting!!

Chris

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! I'm so glad you like the beer...even if it was warm. Is it meant to be served warm? You host family sounds pretty cool actually. I can totally understand the appreciation for disorganization! So Nathan was trying to pronounce your Kyrgyz apology though i wonder what it really sounds like, lol.

David Rosie Rosenberg said...

There must be something about hearing a third language and then thinking in your second--for a long time whenever i heard spanish, or german, or whatever, i'd start thinking in french. Like my mind knew that i wasn't to speak english at the time, but the only other option was french. Your reversion to Spanish made me think of this.

I'm pretty impressed that you said you were jewish on the plane. I probably would've said i was an atheist just not to cause any problems. Is there anti-Semitism in the KR?

Anonymous said...

hey this is ali a pcv in kazakhstan.. me and a friend are thinking to visit kyrgystan for a couple of days next week.. do you live near bishkek? and if not could you give me an email address of someone in the area that we could meet up with? thanks
alisonbaumes@gmail.com
ali

Kelly said...

Kelly,
I finally had time to catch up on your blog postings. It sounds like you are having a great time, all things considered. I'm glad to hear your host family is so nice, I'm sure it was a big relief finally meeting them. Especially nice that the kids speak a bit of English. Things are good here. Mikey was in town so I took the gang out to dinner to celebrate birthdays. It was a little odd not having you with us. I leave for Costa Rica on aturday...yeah!!!We miss you. Can't wait to hear more on your adventures. Kelly

kelly in the k.r. said...

thanks for all of the comments y'all! this is my first day back on blogger in weeks!
take care

Regina said...

yay you! still inspired, i am. as for "They argue, laugh, arrive late, and are fairly disorganized" this - well, you've met more of me, daniel and emery. only a sturdier, harderworking version with slightly less panache and a different language...

Emery and Daniel are in NY with their dad - they will be home next week and it is insane how much i miss them. I enjoyed the solitude for about 11 minutes...and then i was done.
Nick and I broke up. Not worth the explanation its just done. sad. i'll live...building character, i am.
Dan and Molly getting engaged soon. No suprise there. Perhaps i'll be a bridesmaid. She's really great - and that only annoys me a little. grrr.
Work is fine - my new boss reminds me of yoda, which is to see he commands my respect and has great and vast knowledge, but he is an odd odd odd little man. :)
NFL season is upon us and i am not fooling with the EY pool this year - im going to the bigs, Kell. Im playing fantasy league. This is very hard for me. Lots of studying and statistics and such. Im the "token" girl in our 10 dude set up - so much good natured abuse coming my way. Perhaps hanging out with all the guys will help me to better understand them.
OUtside of that - all is the same in Regina World. Kids, Work, Karate, Softball, Playdates, Eat, Sleep, Repeat. Its a good life :)

I MISS U.
Be safe. Smile for free. Dance to new music. Learn five words. Enjoy something completely. Share.
Love u.
~regina, daniel & emery